My Grandaddy's Gears

colSteve
Site Admin

My Grandaddy's Gears

Post by colSteve » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:41 pm

Back in 1814 my Grandaddy went back and forth with the British, until they finally ran off in search of an easier opponent in the French. But as long as Negro Fort still stood, my Grandaddy planned to build a Great War Machine in case the British ever returned.

When that Carolina nancy boy Jackson got lucky and destroyed Negro Fort with one shot, he never shut up about it. But having no more immediate need for a war machine that could destroy the fort without the benefit of luck, my Grandaddy buried the gears he had forged for the purpose, north of Ocala.

The gears were buried in the ground soaked in a special fat, and my grandmother made regular trips to water that ground with more oil until a week of her death at age 103. As a boy I visited the spot at least once a year, and I was instructed the gears would get harder with time. I was warned never to dig them up or disturb them, until some day a very special need would come.

With Miss Bunny tearing up more gears than a Portuguese shoe machine, that day has arrived. So I am cooking up the recipe my grandmother provided, where you skin a live horse, and boil the skin. It renders out kind of a special oil that also has acid in it, and transmutes any rust into like a black enamel except much harder than what you normally see on a tack skillet.

So as soon as I get the gears all dug up and prepared, and before I put them in Ms. Bunny Raybot so she can walk across the ocean floor and come up on the Queen's lawn at Buckinem, I hope to show them to you. So you can get an idea of what a fine preacher my Grandaddy really was.

colSteve
Site Admin

Re: My Grandaddy's Gears

Post by colSteve » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:35 pm

It turns out my Grandaddy was keeping a secret. So I can't tell you all what I dug up out there. But I did find some gears small enough to put inside Ms. Bunny. The rest I buried back in the ground with the truth.

And it turns out my Grandaddy's gears were forged with nickel silver, so I skinned ol' Bo for nothing. We cried a lot of tears over that. But he did give us all a lesson which we can carry forward for a long time: Don't skin your horse until you dig up your gears.