Forrest Fenn's Treasure

colSteve
Site Admin

Forrest Fenn's Treasure

Post by colSteve » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:07 pm

I heard about Forrest Fenn's treasure poem. To me, there seems to be a pretty good translation that is different from the few I have seen. First, here is the poem:

As I have gone alone in there
And with my treasures bold,
I can keep my secret where,
And hint of riches new and old.

Begin it where warm waters halt
And take it in the canyon down,
Not far, but too far to walk.
Put in below the home of Brown.

From there it’s no place for the meek,
The end is ever drawing nigh;
There’ll be no paddle up your creek,
Just heavy loads and water high.

If you’ve been wise and found the blaze,
Look quickly down, your quest to cease,
But tarry scant with marvel gaze,
Just take the chest and go in peace.

So why is it that I must go
And leave my trove for all to seek?
The answers I already know,
I’ve done it tired, and now I’m weak.

So hear me all and listen good,
Your effort will be worth the cold.
If you are brave and in the wood
I give you title to the gold.

"Where warm waters halt" is the end of a glacier. Every place a river flows in the Colorado mountains is called a canyon. So he is basically saying go down the valley below the glacier. There are no glaciers in New Mexico, and I understand the treasure is probably in Colorado or New Mexico.

"The home of Brown" is the ranger station. It is always a brown building, and the rangers wear brown, from my memory. Trust me, they just look like a "home of Brown." So you go down the valley below a glacier, and take the trailhead below the ranger station. (I know a guy named Brown who built a log cabin in Allenspark but I doubt that is relevant.)

Now you are climbing up a steep stream gulch, north or west facing, filled with snow. Obviously it is just a trickle depending on season, not navigable by paddling. It is hard to carry a pack in such a steep hike, with five pounds of gold. By "waters high," Fenn means wet snow or maybe small waterfalls.

"The blaze" is the sunrise, and "the marvel" is the plains, seen looking east from the northern front range. I have lived in Estes Park and Boulder near where all the glaciers in Colorado are. I have driven down a canyon, and hiked up to a ridge to watch the sun rise over the plains, too many times to count.

"The end is ever drawing nigh" refers to what hikers call false peaks. Normal people tire on long hikes. They are many times disappointed when it looks like they are coming to the top, but when they get there another pitch comes into view. You kind of have to be there to appreciate this. Imagine you are really tired after a steep, snowy hike, and you are driving your final push to the top. But when you get there, your excitement is dashed to see it is not the top.

"From there it’s no place for the meek" probably refers to Mount Meeker, by Longs Peak. So I have probably done Fenn's hike many times. I dated a girl for many years, whose family owned the old Diskew farm, where Diskew went broke because no rain fell in the shadow of Long's Peak where it all fell as snow.

There is a glacier above Nederland, which is pretty close to some ranger stations with trailheads that lead to a ridge overlooking the plains. But Meeker is a bit north of there. I am not sure which one is St. Vrain glacier, but the Saint Vrain canyon might give you a stream hike, from behind a ranger station, to a ridge overlooking the plains.

Maybe somewhere near Bunce School Road. I actually wrote about Bunce School Road a while back. And also about a fictional city among the glaciers behind Central City, an imaginary mining ghost town called "Old Ganymede" aka "Goblintown".

I would go get the treasure myself, except there are a lot of streams to hike along the northern front range from behind a ranger's station! I actually have dreams that involve a hike exactly as described by Fenn from time to time.

I can take a wild guess you take the Meeker trailhead. But instead of going up Meeker, you turn left toward the plains. A google search for Meeker Trailhead delivers:

"The peak offers some nice Class 3 scrambling, a surprising route and expansive views of the Colorado plains. The lower trail access is the same as the Longs Peak trail so you will be sharing that ..."

So there you have it, Fenn's treasure is on the East Face of Mount Meeker. Given the "waters high" it is probably the Ouzel Falls hike:

http://www.rockymountainhikingtrails.co ... -falls.htm

So there you have it, there is $850k in a chest near Ouzel Falls.

Here you can see a picture of "the home of Brown."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Basin_Ranger_Station

There are probably some rock outcroppings that look like boobs, which he calls "the chest." This is a view of the plains from near Ouzel Falls:

Maybe it has to be sunrise to see something that looks like boobs. Anyway that is such a high-traffic area, the gold has to be gone already.